Thursday, March 15, 2012

“Taming” Of “The Crew” (Tips & Tricks)


I had an inquiry about my training techniques with the "Desert Crew", specifically as "Working Dogs" on the Range.


Here are some observations of what I think works best with my Crew! 


Ash working on her extended "down-stays" at obedience class with lots of treat distractions! And boy does she love uncooked hotdogs - such a good crew member! I tend to work early on with this "trick" and increase the distraction and length of time. And I should add that she had to keep her focus with five German Shepards in the background doing their protection work.


I try and work training sessions into my everyday routine. "The Crew" certainly gets to enjoy a lot more freedom living in the country, but it also has its challenges – and, as much as I love them they can’t be spoiled since I rely on them to work stock, alert me to predators and keep me and the land safe.

There are so many training methods now a days and like anything, trial and error are apart of the experience. “Get inside the head” of your dog is where one needs to start. You won’t understand their personality or be able to identify their strengths and weaknesses unless you spend time with them on a daily basis. 


A Few Things That I Try and Reinforce With "The Crew": 

I work “lie downs” and extended "stays" inside and outside the house with distractions. But, I don’t ask for a lie down when working cattle - they need to be upright to manage free-range cattle or they can get hurt. When working with stock, they need to know when we need to work and when to leave grazing cows alone. So, I always work in “Stops” in my everyday routine. A Stop can be a Stand or a Sit – whichever the dog prefers. It just has to mean that they will “freeze” their position when I ask. ‘Stops” are a big part of obedience in training on stock and sometimes I will use the word “halt” as well. Lately, I am practising  this command a lot with my young crew member Rook who is just over a year old - and male Canaan Dogs do not fully mature mentally and physically until at least four years of age, so starting consistency in training as early as possible is the best bet if you want a well-behaved "Desert Boy!"

Since I also "Love Tracking" with my crew, I invented some “find it games”  to reinforce the“ nose- to- ground” technique  in between our formal tracking classes–  I find this is a great game to throw into the mix since it brings out their natural instincts and keeps them active and stimulated and wanting to work with me.  For this game, I keep the crew in the house and bury some treats outside. Then, I bring them out and say go “find”. This keeps up their love of tracking and strengthens the “nose-to-ground philosophy" as opposed to air scenting techniques. To see our recent  formal "Tracking" class with Miss Ash visit this link on the blog: 
http://albertacanaandogcrew.blogspot.ca/2012/02/tracking-along-with-ash-february.html 

Below are a few pics of the working sessions I try and do on a daily routine despite the weather and how busy I can be. Training is always something you can strive for each day - but without consistency and persistence you can't expect "them dawgs" to understand "the rules of the home", or the "laws of the land." And, for those that know me, I am not a fan of animals on the couch. "Four on the floor" is what I want which helps maintain our relationship between "Who is the Boss":-) 

A fav pic of Ash and Cybelle doing their down-stays with a treat as a distraction - I like to do this exercise a few times a week because I find it strengthens the "focus" on "who remains the boss at all times". 
Ash working with youngster Rook on what a "Stop means" when the boss asks:-) 
Youngster 'Rook" - Oh, wait, I should "Stop" now?" 
Rook - "Look at my perfect Stop - Stand on command!" - "I think I am getting it!"
I "embossed this pic using a filter" since I wanted to show their nice sits "together  as crew members " - plus wonderful head studies of a male and female Canaan Dog - they both show the "correct" difference between a male and female CD
Ash having some fun working the "find it game" for a bit of tracking practise between classes
Rook having some fun working the "find it game" for a bit of tracking practise after his work on "stops"

I always end a training session with a bit of playtime - Rook having a romp on his driveway after a good day of training! 
It's always great to see "A Big Happy Smile" after some training!


And "This Is Why" teaching stops are important early on - some past pics of Ash, Cybelle, and Rook being respectful of the Stock when the Herd does not have to be moved to a new graze zone or be rounded up. "Peace on the Pasture between the Beasts".

Ash as a pup learning to stop and be watchful of a young calf
Cybelle being respectful of the herd at their new watering hole
Young Rook  watching over the herd
And this page post could not be complete without  mentioning Our  First Crew Member "Macc" who taught us all about the trials and tribulations about  how to train our "Crew" as working companions.  We Miss You Macc, - your affection, education, and dedication live on with the Crew!
We are looking forward to the green pastures ahead with "The Crew!"
Young Master Rook learning to "Stop" and "just watch  over the herd" when they don't have to be moved to their next grazing zone. 



2 comments:

  1. Good tips, I can see how daily training helps. Love the head shots of Rook and Ash too. A really good examble of female/male.

    Annabel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Annabel! I always enjoy finding new ways to spice up my training methods. I think Ash and Rook look great together too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...